Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Happy Women's Equality Day Mr. Kennedy, thank you and rest well.

. Wednesday, August 26, 2009

On this day (August 26) in 1920, the 19th Amendment granting women the right to vote became law, Ted Kennedy had nothing to do with that, but he was instrumental in getting Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 passed.

Most people think of women's sports when Title IX is mentioned, and while high school and university athletics owe their existence to it, the law is much broader - covering everything from discrimination in fields such as science and medicine to other aspects of academic life such as access to health care and dormitory facilities.

My mother may have never become a doctor if it were not for Title IX, so she would of never met my father, and *poof* out of the realm of possibilities I go.

My interest in volleyball began when I was 11 years old during a family bike ride through North Avenue beach and came across a pro-volleyball tournament, dad asked if I wanted a better view and that's all she wrote. I probably would have never played high school volleyball if it were not for that random event, which would have never happened without title IX. So even if my parents did meet and have me, I would not be the same me.

Why does it matter? Obama plays basketball, never professionally or even as a college athlete, but its part of what makes him who he is. If he were a different person, would he still have become president?

And so ends one not-always-friendly neighbourhood catgirl's tribute to Edward Moore Kennedy, no sorrows as Hey We All Die Sometimes.

0 comments: